Grace

I feel kind of like a hypocrite writing this post, but I just wanted to share what is on my heart. 

You have probably sung the song Amazing Grace a lot of times. I don't know about you, but almost every time I play or sing it, I am moved by the simplicity of God's amazing grace. God forgave me, a vile sinner that slapped him in the face, spit on him, then nailed him to a cross. That is amazing grace. God loved me, the person that sentenced him to die, that turned his back on him, that mocked and scorned him. That is true love. 

I am so thankful for his grace towards me, and I tell him that all the time. But, when it comes time to show someone else some grace, I find it very, very difficult. Thoughts like, they don't deserve my forgiveness, look how they hurt me, they were so rude! In fact, I think that was an outright lie. I can not forgive them. Can you imagine what this world would be like if Jesus had given in to those thoughts? I don't even want to think about it. 

Who am I to hold a grudge against a fellow human being? If Jesus could love a sinner like me, he will help me to love that person that was so rude the other day. 

When we don't show grace and forgive, we plant a seed of bitterness. When bitterness grows, it becomes a strong tree that gives us sleepless nights, angry days, and a challenged life. I've watched, and I've experienced it. You probably have too. 

It becomes kind of, well, fun to say bad things about other people that you dislike. It starts to be a kind of game--finding other's faults and pointing them out. People don't like being around you, you don't even like being around yourself. Almost everything you say is negative. You become miserable.

But then,

When God's grace comes into your life, you can start having compassion on those foolish jerks that have offended you. maybe they are suffering and having a difficult time in their lives. Maybe you can help them, love them, show them some grace instead of pulling them apart with words, looks, and thoughts.  
Pour it out.
Just a couple of hours ago I was on the rampage. Somebody was practically murdered with my words. But then I was reminded of Jesus' grace. What right have I to speak out against someone that Jesus loves? If he had grace for me, he will give me the grace for them. I don't doubt it.

Do you know what? I know for a fact that most of the people that have offended me were completely unaware of what they were doing. Hmm.....that makes me wonder how many people I have hurt. 

So I'm going to get on my knees, first to ask forgiveness for the words that I've spoken, then I'm going to forgive the person that hurt me; I'm going to take that bucket of grace and I'm going to use it, because you know, it must be miserable to be that person. They must be in a really tough spot right now. 

God will give us grace, we just have to ask.

Standing on the promises,

Emily Jo

Promise: 
1 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A hike in the Carpathians- Europe Trip Part VII

In This Is Love

Happy New Year 2019!!!