Kombucha- my latest success in the beverage world!

I am a lover of kombucha. Bolivia has never been enlightened to the joys of this delicious and refreshing drink, so I have had to create my own. There is one good thing about not having a grocery store packed with American luxuries nearby, you have to be creative!

It all started with one scobie that a dear friend of ours gave me right before we began the long journey into the wilds of South America. It was nigh onto a miracle that it was alive at all by the time I got to it a week and a half later! We did what experts would deem absolutely risky if not impossible, the scobie was put in a plastic bag with little to no fluid and was flown over 6,000 miles then carried to the heart of South America. God kept it alive!

My first batch wasn't great. In fact, my first ten batches weren't great. I do not like continuous batch kombucha and will not make it. I like fizzy, bubbly, delicious and slightly sweet kombucha. My first attempts at second fermentation were ok, but not exactly what I was looking for. Rather, tasting for. Then I discovered the plastic bottle. Yes, I looked online to make sure that they were BPA free and that I wouldn't die of cancer if I recycled them!  I began second fermenting in a couple of pop bottles and bingo! I found the flavor, the fizz, and the absolute deliciousness of true kombucha. You can just see that it is bursting with probiotics and live organisms!

Here are a few pictures of the process:
 I boil the tea and sugar for a couple of minutes, it helps with the fermentation.

 The scobies:
\
Ready for fermentation!

An army of kombucha bottles!
Ah...sweet pop and fizzle! Check out the foam on the top.

Since this wonderful discovery, I have an extremely difficult time keeping my family from guzzling it down before I can get my hands on it!

I'd like to say I'm an expert. Ok, I give in, I am an expert. Maybe my next post will be titled "Kombucha flops after a prideful boast." :-)

So come on over, we can share a glass of sparkling kombucha, and talk, talk, talk,

Cheers! 

Emily Jo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A hike in the Carpathians- Europe Trip Part VII

In This Is Love

Happy New Year 2019!!!