My Testimony Of Change

While looking at old family pictures and videos yesterday, I was shocked by how much I have changed in the past 6 years.

Tomboy to the core, frisbee lover, and die-hard Carhart wearer me changed into somebody else over the course of seven years. But man, it seems like yesterday. People have tried to tell me how much I've changed since we moved to Bolivia, but I didn't think I had changed that much until I looked at those pics.

As for growing up like I did, looking back, there are very few things that I would change, and most of those things are heart issues. I loved being a tomboy. Myles and I used to spend hours throwing a frisbee around in the cow pasture, riding bikes, building forts, milking cows, and playing war. There is nothing I would want to change about that.

Sharpshooter Emily!

Oh yes, me and what is my lifelong favorite bike! 

Daddy and Mama gave me this beautiful 22 for my thirteenth birthday.  


My fourteenth birthday party. Just looking at Aunt Diane's German Chocolate cake makes me want some!

My aunt gave me that pink sweatshirt because she said I needed to wear more pink. I can see why!

As you can see from the above photos, I would almost always wear hats. Mostly because of an embarrassing experience. But that is for another blog.

Then the greatest change came to this farm loving. frisbee playing tomboy. We moved to Bolivia in the fall of 2012. For me, everything came to a grinding halt. I was no longer top dog in peer circles like I had been. I found out just how ugly one can be without Jesus. Those were hard times. But God brought me to Himself even though I was so rebellious and hard of heart that it took Him much longer than it could have. Oh, and I am such a work in progress.

Isobel Kuhn, in her book, The Arena (I challenge you to read it, you won't regret it!), relates that as she headed out to be a missionary in China for the first time, a senior missionary told her China would show her that she was scum. She was set aback because she had considered herself a fairly good person up until then. When she got to China, this woman's words rang true. Isobel tells that after being in China for a little while she remembered getting on her knees and saying, "God, I am just scum." This has been true for me. I thought I was pretty good, until I came to the end of myself. So often lately I have had to say, "God, I am just scum and nothing more."

But Jesus is always there for me. Jesus is the reason that there are any good changes in me. I can truly say that any goodness that is in me is from Him. Some days I draw far too little of this well of good and let self overtake me. But Jesus is always there. He is a friend that never fails. He never will leave or forsake me.

Here is a picture of me, as I am right now. I am so different, but in a good way. I love and know Jesus now, my desire is to follow Him. My old obsessions have faded away.


Superficial changes? There are some. I wear dresses now. I'll even admit to wearing makeup. :-) That must be shocking to those who know me best! I still love a good hat, Carharts and a Cabela's sweatshirt, but never wear the combo. :-)

Oh, and by the way, I can still accurately throw a frisbee and ride a bike backwards. And I'm not in objection of reeling in a big one now and then!

I've come to the conclusion that the changes that Jesus brings about are always good. Always!

Thankful for His amazing grace,

Emily Jo

Promise! Being confident in this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it unto the day of Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A hike in the Carpathians- Europe Trip Part VII

In This Is Love

Happy New Year 2019!!!