Sometimes It's Hard but Worth the Wait

Disclaimer: This post is about the reality of living "like a fish out of water". So don't judge me too harshly when you read it. :) 

Have you ever felt like you would give anything to go somewhere? That's how I felt last Saturday as my Aunt very sweetly held up an iPad, while Skyping with us so we could see a little bit of the Annual Booher Family Concert. I went upstairs and cried. I really wanted to be there; to sing with my family, to play my ukulele, to listen to and admire all of my talented Uncles and Aunts. I'll admit, I was not content. It can be so hard! Sometimes I miss the things I know and love so much! 

Homesickness is real. It happens. It's no fun. And believe me, I've had my share!

It's hard to live in a big city, where you can actually see the pollution that dust and two million people can create. Living in a culture that is different from our own can be challenging. We get stared and yelled at almost every time we go out in the streets. Professional beggars come to our door asking us for money, just because we are "gringos" and we are stereotyped into the "rico" class.

Fellowship can be "slim pickin's" and we miss the relaxed, joyful, family atmosphere of our church at home.

You know you're homesick when:

You buy overpriced cheddar cheese every week,

Skype and phone visits become more regular,

You start talking about the "green, green, grass of home" and just how beautiful those Douglas fir forests are,

You start printing pictures of people you love so you won't forget what they look like (JK:)),

You start looking at how much plane tickets are costing (Just to get an idea), 

You find yourself singing "God Bless America" (FYI: I'm talking about North America),

And you get the idea!

All that to say that God is good and He provides us with friends even in this far away place. He provides us with work, with ministry and He reminds us just why we are here:


It's for this little man, David,

It's for this precious girl, Adriana,

And it's for our little cutie pie, Peter. 

This has become one of my favorite promises: Joshua 1:9  Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

He is with us! And he will bring us home safely again! 

Emily Jo









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A hike in the Carpathians- Europe Trip Part VII

In This Is Love

Happy New Year 2019!!!