The Elusive Key and How It Taught Me to Trust

Preface

I've been teaching at Carachipampa, the International Christian school here in Cochabamba. They rather reluctantly gave me the key that opens all of the classrooms, so I could teach in one of them. Unfortunately, I lost it about 3 weeks ago. Now I  have to teach out of my home which stresses everybody out. Last time I saw it, it was on the kitchen counter where everybody leaves their keys. Why is mine the only one that disappears? I've stressed, prayed, let it go, picked it back up, and still the elusive key has yet to be found.    

Sleep Evades


Promise: Proverbs 3:5,6 “Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and he shall direct thy paths.”
                                                                                
5am.  Saturday morning. 

"Blast! I still haven't found my Carachi key." 

"I left some flashcards in the fifth grade classroom and I need to put them back in the 
home-ec room because, school is going to start soon."

"Lord, where is my key? I really need to find it. I could borrow a key and copy it, but I don't want to do that. I realize that I've been irresponsible, but I don't want to face Mario and tell him that I lost my key! He's so intimidating. Lord, you would have to give me the strength to do that."

"I've already looked under and on top of the refrigerator, behind my chest of drawers, in my desk, on the kitchen counter where I last had it, but where is it?" 

"Why do I have to think about this now? I have a cold and I need to get some sleep."

It's almost 5:30 

"I wanted to sleep in this morning! Isn't that what most people do on Saturday mornings? Lord, help me to get some sleep: I'm tired, I'm sick, and I need my rest."


Then a thought: "Maybe it is in my chest of drawers! Maybe it's in a pair of pants that I haven't worn in a while. Hmm... You goofball! You don't have any jeans that you don't wear! But do a quick check anyway."

As I methodically pull clothes out and check pockets I pray, "Lord, I know I've been proud, irresponsible, and foolish, but will you please lead me to my key anyway?"


Disappointment.

At least I got my clothes put away.



"Well, now that I know that it's not in there maybe I'll get some sleep." 

"Jesus, you know about every sparrow that falls. You know where my key is right now, please lead me to my key! I ask you in faith that you would help me find my key. Thank you! Father, I'm doubting you, I don't want to do that, help me!" 

Scenarios ran through my mind. I began creating a speech (In Spanish none the less) to say to Mario. They may kick me out. That would be embarrassing, since my nannying job is on campus. Oh well, it would be good for my pride to have a fall.

I hear my watch beep. It's 6 o'clock.

At last, sleep.

Later that morning I was about to take a shower, but since Clancy was washing dishes, and our hot water heater can only handle one thing at a time, I decided to do a quick search for my elusive key. I checked the laundry area, the yard (maybe it fell out of the wash on its way to the line?), the hutch where I keep my Bible, and then Mama suggested that I check the guest room. 
"Why would it be in the guest room?" I queried.
 "You are going to find it where it you least suspect to," She replied.
I walked in and glanced around. My ukulele case was in the corner with some other instrument cases, so I decided to check it even though I highly doubted that it would be there. With a dubious countenance I opened it up, lifted the flap that covers the accessories pocket, and lo and behold, there lay my much looked for, stressed over, blasted KEY! And my mother was right again.....

Now my key is in my backpack, safe and sound! 

"Yes, It's Sweet to Trust in Jesus,

Just to take him at his word;
Just to rest upon his promise,
          And to know, "Thus saith the Lord!"

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him; 
How I've proved him o'er and o'er!
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus,
Oh, for grace to trust Him more! 



I was doubting; I was stressed. I had little to no faith, but He still heard my cry.
I'm so glad I have a God that cares about the little things in life! He wants to show us just how great He is by using our smallness for His glory. 

HE ANSWERS PRAYERS!!!!

If you have lost something, broken something, are stressed about a relationship, a meeting, your job (or just life!), I recommend you take this advice:

 Promise!
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Matthew 11:28-30







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A hike in the Carpathians- Europe Trip Part VII

Happy New Year 2019!!!

In This Is Love